Chris is an experienced commercial, technology and data lawyer with FTSE 100 in-house credentials.
Chris provides legal and commercial advice to a wide variety of clients, with a particular focus on strategically important commercial, technology and data contracts and technology enabled businesses.
Chris joined Conexus Law from the Commercial and Digital team of EY Law in London where he was a leader for the UK & Ireland in strategic procurement and outsourcing.
Chris was previously Head of Legal for Technology & Broadcast Operations at ITV, where he provided commercial legal support for all aspects of the ITV business. Chris was also a member of the senior technology team and a trusted advisor to ITV’s senior leadership team.
Prior to joining ITV, Chris learned his craft at Nabarro LLP (now CMS) and Fieldfisher, gaining top-tier experience acting for clients including household names (customers and suppliers), small early-stage companies and central government departments seeking to implement some of the most innovative ICT strategies.
Throughout his career, Chris has worked with many fast growth technology companies. This has led to a particular interest in emerging technologies.
- Acting as primary legal advisor for one of the world’s largest fast-moving consumer goods companies on many of its high value, global contracts, including drafting and negotiating strategic SaaS, PaaS, software development, marketing and other outsourcing agreements.
- Advising The Business Banking Resolution Service, an entity funded by the 7 major UK banks, to create and facilitate a dispute resolution service for disputes between banks and small to medium enterprises (SMEs). This was a high-profile scheme, with parliamentary oversight, subject to much public scrutiny. Chris was a key part of the large EY multidisciplinary team and led the commercial and procurement legal workstreams.
- Acting for various SaaS suppliers in relation to their customer agreements and data protection issues, including: (i) an FCA regulated platform in the ECM / trading market; (ii) a well-known payment collections platform; (iii) a global platform used by businesses to produce their marketing materials; and (iv) a specialist provider of automated payment validation solutions that enables its clients to lower the cost of payment processing, by improving straight through processing rates.
- Advising The Association of International Certified Professional Accountants on a first generation high-value IT outsourcing project, provided to US and UK based users from offshore service centres.
- Acting for The Irish Government’s Department of Education, in relation to two high value and high profile public procurement exercises: (i) to procure a new payroll system for use by approximately 3,700 schools / 150,000 staff / payees in Ireland; and (ii) to procure a new finance shared services solution for use by the Education and Training Boards in Ireland.